top of page
  • Writer's pictureSarah Tressler, Editor

Loss of Income and Financial Relief Resources

Updated: Apr 13, 2020

For those who need financial assistance due to COVID-19, help is available.

The City of Los Angeles and Gov. Gavin Newsom are working to help alleviate some of the financial strain brought on by the Coronavirus. Several measures have been put into place to help:

  • Gov. Gavin Newsom issued an executive order authorizing local governments to halt evictions for renters and homeowners. This measure slows foreclosures and protects against utility shutoffs for Californians affected by COVID-19. MORE>>> Office of the Governor

  • Mayor Garcetti issued an emergency order prohibiting landlords from evicting residential tenants during this emergency period if the tenant is unable to pay rent due to circumstances stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic. Tenants will have up to six months after the end of the emergency period to repay any back-due rent. MORE>>> Los Angeles Housing & Community Investment Department

  • LADWP confirmed they are deferring disconnections for non-payment through the remainder of March. They are working to restore water and power to residences that recently had services disconnected. MORE>>> Los Angeles Department of Water & Power

  • If you are looking for work, the Mayor's office has launched the LA Jobs Portal at Businesses in sectors providing essential services (grocery stores, pharmacies, delivery services) need help to meet sharply increased demand. The LA Jobs Portal has aggregated the hiring portal links for these businesses. MORE>>> LA Jobs Portal

  • If you need to file for unemployment, the Governor has removed the waiting period for unemployment. The Empolyment Development Department (EDD) will guide you through the process. MORE>>> Employment Development Department of California

  • If your employer has cut your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you can file for unemployment. MORE>>> Employment Development Department of California

  • If you are self-employed or an independent contractor, the EDD offers an optional Disability Insurance Elective Coverage (DIEC) program that can provide benefits to eligible participants. MORE>>> Self-Employed/Independent Contractor

  • If you are unable to work due to exposure to COVID-19, the Governor has removed the waiting period for disability insurance. You can file a Disability Insurance Claim with the EDD. MORE>>> EDD Worker Support

  • If you are unable to work because you are caring for a family member with COVID-19, you can file for Paid Family Leave. MORE>>> How to File a Paid Family Leave Claim

If you know of any other financial support measures being offered, please email

92 views0 comments


bottom of page